Child Custody Attorney
While some separating or divorcing couples quickly reach an agreement regarding the living arrangements for their children, the contentious nature of many of these situations makes it necessary for the Family Court to make the final determination. Under NRS 125A.235 of the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act, the presiding judge has the full authority to make a binding decision that may only be modified if there is a significant change in circumstances. Consequently, retaining the services of a knowledgeable child custody attorney in Las Vegas can be an important step in your effort to maintain custody and visitation rights.
In Nevada, there are two child custody categories that will be addressed during the custody process:
- Legal custody — Role and responsibility each parent has in making decisions regarding the general health and well-being of the children.
- Physical custody — Establishes the actual living arrangements of the children, including the amount of time they will reside with each parent. Learn more about the differences between legal custody and physical custody here.
When Should You Hire A Child Custody Attorney?
While you are under no legal obligation to hire a child custody lawyer, there are a number of situations in which doing so is likely to be in your best interests. These include:
- You and your partner are not communicating and/or cannot agree on a suitable custody or visitation arrangement.
- One parent wishes to relocate outside of Nevada with the children.
- The paternity of the child is in question.
- You need to modify an existing child custody order.
The Child Custody Process
Your child custody attorney can guide you through each step of the custody process during the divorce, which consists of:
- Temporary hearing — This establishes short-term custody arrangements until the final divorce decree is issued.
- Evaluations — A mental health professional, social worker, or therapist will evaluate the parents and children over a period of several weeks.
- Trial — During the divorce trial, both spouses present their case before the Court. The judge will then make the final decision regarding permanent custody and visitation rights based on what he or she views to be in “the best interests of the child.” More information on the best interest factors can be found in our customer forms section.
Benefits of Hiring a Child Custody Lawyer
Child custody can be a difficult legal and emotional struggle that has a significant long-term impact on the lives of your children. An experienced child custody lawyer in Las Vegas can help you navigate these often murky legal waters and remove much of the emotional burden from your shoulders. A child custody attorney can ensure your rights are protected and the welfare of your children remains at the forefront throughout the entire custody process.
Contact RIGHT Lawyers for Child Custody Assistance
If you have questions about child custody in Las Vegas or are interested in an initial consultation regarding any family law matter, contact RIGHT Lawyers at (702) 914-0400 today.
Stacy and her team are fantastic. I cannot say enough about their professionalism and empathy when working with their clients. I was in a tough position with family court in my custody battle when I switched firms and retained Right Lawyers. They methodically reviewed my case and aggressively went to battle for me. Stacy has a good relationship/rapport with the judges; they know her and trust her, this is apparent right away. Before my divorce, I had no idea that law firms were NOT the same. I recommend Right Lawyers to anyone needing help in the family courts.
- Francine G.
I used this law group to handle my divorce. My lawyer Keith Pickard was knowledgeable and aggressive making me feel well represented. I would recommend him and the right lawyers team!
- Mike D.
Divorce, especially when young children are involved, is usually an emotionally charged and complicated situation. I had several consultations prior to choosing Stacy Rocheleau as my representation. Stacy and staff were forthright and honest. They set the expectation for the good and the bad. Where other lawyers frightened me with the horrors of what could go wrong, Stacy was straightforward regarding what we were up against, but at the same time was reassuring by focusing on the things that were in our favor. I was encouraged to remain level headed and to not act upon emotion and reminded to always remember that my child's best interests were first and foremost. In my personal experience, I was most impressed by their philosophy of realistically choosing your battles. It showed integrity and a genuine consideration that at the end of the day money spent on the divorce is better spent on the child.
- Christina P.